Important: WoW/Battle.net Account Security

Front page news

Important: WoW/Battle.net Account Security

Postby Paul » July 2nd, 2008, 10:03 pm

UPDATED FOR 2014!
Battle.net is now pretty secure as a platform, but I would still like to draw everyone's attention to a very simple, but very important method of reducing the risk of having your account procured by nefarious means.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE SURE YOUR BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT PASSWORD IS STRONG AND UNIQUE.

That means you don't use it ANYWHERE else. This is especially the case if your actual account name is the same or similar to your email address (especially if this is a Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail address). I don't want to seem like I'm being a big brother here and I'm sure most of you are completely aware of the best practises for internet security, but I'd really hate for anyone of us to have to go through the misery of finding out our accounts have been compromised. If your password for Battle.net is the same as a password for some dodgy forum or website you've signed up to then you're doing half the work for hackers. All it takes is one site to not store their passwords securely, get hacked, and bam, you're at risk.

While you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to suspect the software this forum uses is in any way vulnerable to any kind of hack, (and no one here can see anything to do with your passwords, not even Fireal with his magic glasses) it would be extremely wise of you to change your password here if it's the same as your WoW one, as you never know what might happen in the future. It might just be easier to go and change your Battle.net password now to something completely random but memorable (and totally UNIQUE!). I know how annoying it can be to have a million passwords for things, but it's not more annoying than having to go through the process of reclaiming characters you've spent years playing. So please make sure you don't use your Battle.net password for ANYTHING ELSE. There is no end to the lengths some people will go to find details for WoW accounts these days, they are extremely sought after, and who knows what kind of people are behind some random forum you may have signed up for.

The single most effective way of securing your Battle.net account is to use an Authenticator. Either a physical device, or an app for your smart phone, that acts as a 2-step authentication method that means no one can access your account unless they've also stolen your phone or are standing behind you. And then you've probably got other problems.

Just thought I'd do my bit to make sure everyone stays safe. Over and out. :banjo:

Please note a lot of the replies in this thread relate to an incident that happened when this was originally posted, back in 2008.
Paul
Internet Allstar

Character: Norolas

Re: Important: WoW Account Security

Postby Gwyllion » July 2nd, 2008, 10:10 pm

cheers guv'nar.

p.s i steer clear of tura forums cos of the shit that goes down there, in terms of possibly key logger issues. what hapened and who was involved? i need gossip! :grrrrrrr:
Almost perfect....
Gwyllion
Oirishman

Postby Modi » July 2nd, 2008, 10:15 pm

even my username is different on every WoW related forum/service i use... Good point Norolas.
Modi
Drunken lout

Postby Paul » July 2nd, 2008, 10:16 pm

Frohanlon wrote:p.s i steer clear of tura forums cos of the shit that goes down there, in terms of possibly key logger issues. what hapened and who was involved? i need gossip! :grrrrrrr:

Quite a wise position to take, and as this is a global announcement also in non-private areas of the forum I'm not going to comment any further on the hackee, but needless to say it's quite priceless reading, and guaranteed keylogger free (if you don't click any links).

Modi wrote:even my username is different on every WoW related forum/service i use... Good point Norolas.

Yes, it's second nature to many people on the net these days, but I thought a kindly prod will get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet, as it were.
Paul
Internet Allstar

Character: Norolas

Postby Digg » July 3rd, 2008, 6:48 am

read it up to page 6. whether he really got hacked or not, he certainly wont get anywhere trying to drag a big guild like NiD down. stupid prick
I have no alts, I just have 10 mains.
Digg

Postby Treesus » July 3rd, 2008, 12:30 pm

has it been deleted? can't access it.
There was a problem. You're most likely blocked by the armory.
Treesus
Take That superfan

Postby Nick » July 3rd, 2008, 12:46 pm

**Waits for guild dramas when glaives start dropping for the Dottagers** My bets on bob ninjaring!

Nah, its silly to give out account details, not just for personal security with banks and stuff but because you've put a silly amount of hours and effort into it. If his account was infact hacked then taking it public on forums is one of the worst ways of dealing with it :S
Last edited by Nick on July 3rd, 2008, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) You are on the internet (2) You are visiting The Dottagers Forum (3) You are reading my signature (5) You didn't even notice that point 4 is missing (6) You just checked for point 4 (7) Now you are smiling.
Nick
Egg-chaser

Postby Modi » July 3rd, 2008, 1:06 pm

there a quite some guilds with 3 (complete) sets of glaives.. no worries ;)
Modi
Drunken lout

Postby Shadowbumble » July 3rd, 2008, 1:18 pm

Spiller wrote:**Waits for guild dramas when glaives start dropping for the Dottagers** My bets on bob ninjaring!

Nah, its silly to give out account details, not just for personal security with banks and stuff but because you've put a silly amount of hours and effort into it. If his account was infact hacked then taking it public on forums is one of the worst ways of dealing with it :S

Indeed and we do not start guilddrama's since i will be taking the glaives >=)
Shadowbumble
King of chatting bollocks

Postby Treesus » July 3rd, 2008, 2:03 pm

i'll be taking them in case i respec from holy to rogue.
There was a problem. You're most likely blocked by the armory.
Treesus
Take That superfan

Next

Return to News